Wednesday, January 10, 2007

School

I had my first class Monday night and I was a little overwhelmed. I have since had time to process things and go over the sylabys again and have calmed down a little. I really like the teacher. He is a principal at Van Meter and has had a lot of different experiences in his 26 years in the education field. I think this class will give me a good overview and let me know if I want to continue on this path. I have a essay due tonight and why I want to be a teacher and I thought I'd share...

This is the first time in my life I can say, “I want to be a teacher.” This is the first time in my life I can say with certainty what I want to be. There is no one moment, person or action that has led me to this decision; it’s been more of a progression.
I first thought about teaching 6 years ago while doing an internship with the assistant superintendent in Ames while receiving my BS in Public Administration. I liked the school system, but knew I wouldn’t be able to get involved with out teaching first. My guidance counselors in high school and academic advisors in college left much to be desired and thought about that as well. Again, I would need to teach first. As graduation neared, I was not so certain I had chosen the right career path, but I had almost completed my degree and was just ready to be done with school. I entered “Corporate America” and after a few promotions, put the idea of teaching and going back to school out of my mind. I like my job at Allied Insurance and they are a great company to work for. I got comfortable.
A couple years ago my mom’s position at JCPenney’s, was eliminated. She’s was offered another role and had to take on more traditional retail hours. She was in a tough spot, to young to retire, and she had too much into the company to leave. She has worked there for over 30 years. That taught me that job security is only worth so much. If you are going to spend so much of your life at work, it better be something you love. Sitting in a cubicle and the insurance industry is not what I love.
It was the birth of my son, 18 months ago, that completely changed my life. All of the sudden I was a parent and no one can explain that joy to you any more than the new feeling of responsibility. You just want to make the world a better place for them. He is our first and everyday he is learning and growing. I want to not only be a part in his development, but in the development of other children as well. He has softened my heart and brought out my love for all children. He has taught me patients I never knew I had. I want to be a good role model and teach this amazing little creature not to let any obstacle stand in his way. I hope to that that not only by my words or encouragement, but also by my actions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said Brenda!! I wish you a happy learning experience and know you have much to offer!! I am very proud of your decision. :-)

Cassie said...

that is GREAT brenda!! i am so very happy for you!! :) you will be fabulous, no doubt!