This was truly an amazing school year! It was my first year with my own classroom, first year in 4th grade, and first year in Muscatine.
My own classroom ended up being both 4th grade classes for LA and SS, which was perfect! I completely found my niche teaching reading by the end of the year. : ) In December I read The Daily 5/CAFE books and completely changed my approach to teaching literacy. Then in April I got to attend a conference with the sisters that wrote those books and my practices teaching reading are changed forever.
I must also mention that I had the best group of 4th graders ever! It was a super nice bunch of kids. There were some challenges, like every class I will ever have, but I think we made really good strides and really got to a good place with most students.
I got the chance to work with an inspirational grade level partner, Casey Edkin. He was my mentor and has become one of my best friends in Muscatine. He taught me so much about teaching and relationships with kids, not only through his advice, but also through his actions. He is accepting a new role with the district next year and I am really going to miss being inspired by him every day. However, he also has a wonderful family who have become really great friends of ours, and I know we will have much more time together outside of work.
Since being with MCSD I have gotten so involved with so many exciting new changes. I got the chance to be on the Literacy Committee as we are moving forward with Iowa Core Standards. I am starting to explore Standards Based Grading over the summer. I got to attend the Daily 5/CAFE conference. I also just returned from the PLC conference. I am so fired up about all of the exciting changes happening in Muscatine and am happy to be a part of such a progressive district.
Now...I am going to enjoy a little bit of summer, but happily back to work soon!
2 comments:
Glad to see things are going well for you! Sounds like you had a great year! :)
Happy you are back to blogging and good to see how well you have done this 1st year of teaching!! : )
Post a Comment